Japanese tofu katsu curry.
You can have Japanese tofu katsu curry using 22 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Japanese tofu katsu curry
- You need of Sushi rice:.
- It’s of cooked Japanese rice (use more or less).
- Prepare of For the vegetables:.
- It’s of large carrot, sliced into rounds.
- It’s of water, parboil the carrots.
- It’s of salt.
- You need of medium onion, finely sliced.
- Prepare of For the curry sauce:.
- You need of vegetable oil.
- It’s of Japanese curry roux/sauce (S&B Golden Curry Mix).
- Prepare of cumin powder (optional).
- Prepare of boiled water (from kettle).
- Prepare of For the breaded tofu:.
- Prepare of firm tofu (340 g), cut into chunky slices.
- It’s of plain flour.
- Prepare of Salt & pepper for seasoning (flour).
- You need of large eggs, beaten.
- Prepare of panko breadcrumbs (Japanese breadcrumbs).
- It’s of Cooking the tofu:.
- It’s of vegetable oil, (or any cooking oil of preference) for frying the breaded tofu.
- It’s of For garnish:.
- Prepare of black or white sesame seeds, sprinkle over rice (optional).
Japanese tofu katsu curry step by step
- Prepare the vegetables by peeling and slicing the carrots and onions. Transfer into bowls and set aside. In a saucepan, add the water and on high heat bring to a boil. Add a pinch of salt and then the carrots. Cook carrots for roughly about 5 minutes or to desired softness..
- In the mean time prepare the tofu. Place tofu on a chopping board and use a paper towel to pat dry. Cut the tofu into chunky slices. In 3 separate bowls prepare the flour (season with salt and pepper, optional), beaten eggs and panko breadcrumbs..
- Gently dip the tofu into the flour coating it all over, then into the eggs and lastly the breadcrumbs. Ensure the tofu is evenly coated at each stage. Shake off any excess breadcrumbs and place on a plate. Repeat for the remaining tofu slices..
- Check the carrots and once cooked, drain the carrots in a sieve and transfer back into the bowl and set aside. In a saucepan, add the cooking oil on medium heat. Add the sliced onions and cook until soft and translucent, stirring occasionally. Then add the parboil carrots and cumin powder (optional) and stir to incorporate all of the ingredients..
- Now add the curry block and then the water bit by bit depending on how thick or runny you prefer the curry sauce. Keep stirring until the curry block has dissolved. Season with salt and pepper (optional). Reduced heat to low and cover with a lid..
- In a frying pan add vegetable oil on medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, gently place the breaded tofu in, a few at a time depending on the size of your pan. Fry tofu on each side for a few minutes until golden brown. This takes a few minutes. To fry the sides either use either chopsticks or tongs and gently flip on the side until all sides are also golden brown..
- Once the tofu are golden brown all over, transfer and place the tofu on a baking tray or plate lined with kitchen paper to soak up any excess oil. Repeat the steps until all of the tofu has been fried..
- Go back to the curry and give it a final stir and turn off the heat. To serve the curry, place rice on one side of a serving bowl, gently place a few slices of fried tofu next to it. Then ladle over the curry sauce anywhere you like i.e over the fried tofu or rice. Garnish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds (optional)..