Tuna Mayo ‘Onigiri’ Rice Balls.
You can cook Tuna Mayo ‘Onigiri’ Rice Balls using 8 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Tuna Mayo ‘Onigiri’ Rice Balls
- It’s 1 can (95 g) of Tuna *I used Tuna in Springwater.
- It’s of Salt *if Tuna is not salted.
- You need of Finely Ground White Pepper *optional, See Method 2*.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of Japanese Mayonnaise.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of Soy Sauce.
- You need of Freshly Cooked Japanese Short Grain Rice.
- Prepare of Salt.
- You need 2 sheets of Toasted Nori *1/2 for each Onigiri.
Tuna Mayo ‘Onigiri’ Rice Balls instructions
- Drain the canned Tuna very well and squeeze to remove excess water. If you use Tuna in water, season lightly with Salt. Tuna in brine doesn’t need Salt as it is already salty..
- *Note: I recommend to add some finely ground White Pepper. You might prefer Ground Chilli OR Wasabi. A hint of spiciness makes a difference..
- Add Japanese Mayonnaise and Soy Sauce to the Tuna, and mix well..
- *Note: Traditionally Onigiri is made with your wet hands. Wash your hands thoroughly before making Onigiri. However, it is safe and much easier to make Onigiri using the plastic food wrap. Here is my method..
- Plastic Food Wrap Method: Spread 1 serving of freshly cooked Rice on a plate and sprinkle with Salt. This step is to season the Rice, and also to cool and dry the Rice slightly..
- Place the Rice on a sheet of food wrap and form into a ball. Pack firmly and shape it into a triangle, then make a hole in the centre..
- Fill the hole with the Tuna mixture, wrap it with Toasted Nori, and enjoy..
- Traditional Direct Hand Method: Wash your hands thoroughly, spread Salt on the palm of your wet hands. Place 1 serving of warm Rice on a hand, pack firmly and shape it into a triangle, then make a hole in the centre. Fill the hole with the Tuna mixture..