Omurice (Japanese omelette rice). Today's recipe is Omurice, or Japanese Omelette Rice. I received a lot of requests from readers for this recipe and I was a bit surprised how popular this dish is. At most Japanese restaurants we have in the Bay Area, Omurice is not even on the menu, but I think this dish is pretty well-known and popular.
Omurice, a beloved staple of Japanese home cooking, is a linguistic and literal mash-up of omelet and rice A plain omelet cloaks ketchup-flavored fried rice, often called "chicken rice" even when it's made with ham or bacon, or no meat at all It belongs to the category of so-called Western food know as. With a fluffy omelette covering a bed of savory sweet chicken fried rice, omurice (オムライス) is a modern Japanese classic that kids love. If you're anything like me and secretly enjoy covering your scrambled eggs in ketchup, then you'll love Omurice. You can cook Omurice (Japanese omelette rice) using 19 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Omurice (Japanese omelette rice)
- It’s of Ketchup rice:.
- You need 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil (or any oil or choice).
- It’s 3 knobs of butter, divided.
- It’s 100 g of chicken thighs (bacon or sausage).
- You need 1 of white onion, finely diced.
- You need Handful of oyster mushrooms, chopped (or shiitake mushrooms rehydrated).
- It’s Handful of edamame beans or peas.
- It’s 2 cups of cooked rice.
- Prepare of To taste salt and ground white pepper.
- Prepare of Sprinkle of chicken or vegetable powder (optional).
- You need 4 tablespoons of ketchup (or demi-glace sauce).
- You need of Egg:.
- You need 8 of eggs, beaten and divided.
- Prepare Dash of dashi powder.
- It’s Splash of mirin.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of cooking oil or knob of butter.
- You need of Garnish:.
- You need of Drizzle of ketchup.
- You need Handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped.
With sweet and savory chicken and tomato fried. Japanese kids' favourite dish, Omurice (Japanese Rice Omelette) is another Western-influenced Japanese dish. It is basically an omelette with ketchup-flavoured chicken fried rice inside it. The word 'omurice' or 'omuraisu' (オムライス) is a typical Japanese-made English dish.
Omurice (Japanese omelette rice) instructions
- To do the egg mixture, beat the eggs, add the dashi powder and mirin. Strain egg mixture using a sieve into a measuring jug and set aside..
- For the ketchup fried rice, in a large pan or wok add cooking oil and a knob of butter. On medium heat add the onions. Sauté until soft and translucent. Stir frequently to prevent onions from burning..
- Add the mushrooms and sauté until soft..
- Add the chicken pieces or meat of choice and cook all the way through (until not pink if using chicken). Keep stirring frequently to cook the chicken or meat choice evenly..
- Once meat of choice or chicken is cooked and has browned, add edamame beans or peas. Mix everything together and occasionally stir. Then add another 2 knobs of butter and the cooked rice..
- Break the rice grains using a spatula. Once broken down season with salt, pepper, vegetable or chicken powder (optional) and ketchup (or demi-glace sauce). Mix thoroughly together to evenly coat the rice. Keep stirring until the rice is warmed through and hot. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary (add more salt, pepper or ketchup)..
- Then transfer ketchup rice either directly onto a plate or place in a Japanese omurice mould. Flip over from the mould onto a plate. Leave covered to keep rice warm..
- To make the egg part, on medium high heat, add the cooking oil. Swirl oil around the whole pan to ensure egg doesn't stick. Once the pan is hot add half of the egg mixture..
- Using chopsticks quickly scramble the eggs. Keep moving the pan and pushing the mixture from the outside in. Egg should come right off the sides. Once scrambled tilt pan away from you and cook one edge of the eggs. Then push the outside of the eggs with chopsticks to make the omelette the right shape..
- Then from here turn the omelette over gentle using your wrist to bash gently against the pan handle to turn the egg. Then flip egg completely. Put it back on heat for 2 seconds. Then continue to bash and move it round to shape egg even more. Tip: do not over cook egg as it should still be runny as it will continue to cook..
- Place egg on top of the rice rolling it over, using two chopsticks underneath to guide and place it. Using a sharp knife cut down the middle, the egg will spread completely cover the rice..
- Then drizzle with ketchup on top of the egg (or with demi-glaze sauce). Garnish with parsley, serve and enjoy..
Chicken fried rice topped with an omelet and homemade tomato sauce. You get the juiciness from the chicken, softness from the eggs and a hint of sweet and sharpness from the homemade sauce. How did Japanese omurice come to Korea? I ate omurice as a kid and I made it for my own children when I grew up. It was a lunchbox favorite of theirs and I hope you enjoy it too!