Omurice (Japanese omelette rice).
You can have Omurice (Japanese omelette rice) using 19 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Omurice (Japanese omelette rice)
- It’s of Ketchup rice:.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil (or any oil or choice).
- Prepare 3 knobs of butter, divided.
- You need 100 g of chicken thighs (bacon or sausage).
- You need 1 of white onion, finely diced.
- Prepare Handful of oyster mushrooms, chopped (or shiitake mushrooms rehydrated).
- It’s Handful of edamame beans or peas.
- Prepare 2 cups of cooked rice.
- Prepare of To taste salt and ground white pepper.
- Prepare of Sprinkle of chicken or vegetable powder (optional).
- It’s 4 tablespoons of ketchup (or demi-glace sauce).
- It’s of Egg:.
- You need 8 of eggs, beaten and divided.
- You need Dash of dashi powder.
- You need Splash of mirin.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of cooking oil or knob of butter.
- It’s of Garnish:.
- It’s of Drizzle of ketchup.
- Prepare Handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped.
Omurice (Japanese omelette rice) step by step
- To do the egg mixture, beat the eggs, add the dashi powder and mirin. Strain egg mixture using a sieve into a measuring jug and set aside..
- For the ketchup fried rice, in a large pan or wok add cooking oil and a knob of butter. On medium heat add the onions. Sauté until soft and translucent. Stir frequently to prevent onions from burning..
- Add the mushrooms and sauté until soft..
- Add the chicken pieces or meat of choice and cook all the way through (until not pink if using chicken). Keep stirring frequently to cook the chicken or meat choice evenly..
- Once meat of choice or chicken is cooked and has browned, add edamame beans or peas. Mix everything together and occasionally stir. Then add another 2 knobs of butter and the cooked rice..
- Break the rice grains using a spatula. Once broken down season with salt, pepper, vegetable or chicken powder (optional) and ketchup (or demi-glace sauce). Mix thoroughly together to evenly coat the rice. Keep stirring until the rice is warmed through and hot. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary (add more salt, pepper or ketchup)..
- Then transfer ketchup rice either directly onto a plate or place in a Japanese omurice mould. Flip over from the mould onto a plate. Leave covered to keep rice warm..
- To make the egg part, on medium high heat, add the cooking oil. Swirl oil around the whole pan to ensure egg doesn't stick. Once the pan is hot add half of the egg mixture..
- Using chopsticks quickly scramble the eggs. Keep moving the pan and pushing the mixture from the outside in. Egg should come right off the sides. Once scrambled tilt pan away from you and cook one edge of the eggs. Then push the outside of the eggs with chopsticks to make the omelette the right shape..
- Then from here turn the omelette over gentle using your wrist to bash gently against the pan handle to turn the egg. Then flip egg completely. Put it back on heat for 2 seconds. Then continue to bash and move it round to shape egg even more. Tip: do not over cook egg as it should still be runny as it will continue to cook..
- Place egg on top of the rice rolling it over, using two chopsticks underneath to guide and place it. Using a sharp knife cut down the middle, the egg will spread completely cover the rice..
- Then drizzle with ketchup on top of the egg (or with demi-glaze sauce). Garnish with parsley, serve and enjoy..